Brentwood Hard Court Tennis and Padel Club celebrates its centenary this year and we have certainly been on an incredible journey since it all began in those heady days of April 25th,1922.
Back then, we had just four grass courts on a plot of land adjacent to a bowls club, on the opposite corner of where the Fat Turk restaurant now stands.
Membership cost just 21 shillings (the equivalent of about £100 in
today’s money) and 86 members were quickly recruited.
As the courts were close to the road which led to Brentwood, the main problem was horses straying onto the turf and damaging it much to the frustration of the grounds-man!
As a result, when the opportunity to play all year round on four shale courts for the princely sum of £100 including rates, a move to Headley Chase near Brentwood Station in 1929 became a reality.
The Club, as it still does today, relies upon a dedicated core of volunteers to keep It going and back in 1937 as it struggled to maintain and recruit members stalwart Lionel Bass agreed to take over as both Secretary and Treasurer.
Having joined as a member in 1931 he astonishingly went on to serve on the committee for more than 50 years, and it is partly due to his
vision, commitment and drive that the club exists as it does today.
Brentwood Hard Court Club became the official name after an amalgamation with Brentwood Town Club in 1939, the club house being an old first World War Army hut which the members rebuilt in situ.
Never afraid to take bold decisions to secure its future, Brentwood Hard became one of the first clubs in Essex to have floodlights installed in 1954 for the cost of £150 and also built a bar in the clubhouse to boost revenue further.
As tennis really began to take off in the 1970’s, Terry Sullivan joined as head coach and taught many of the top juniors in the country pulling in new members with his enthusiasm and dedication.
He was backed by local businessman and club captain John Tucker who had tennis in his DNA and he became one of the main driving forces behind the club, specifically overseeing the purchase of the club’s current abode in Childerditch Lane for £8,000 and laying 7 new courts in 1976.
Brentwood then started consolidating its position as the number one tennis club in Essex and big thanks must go to former president Frank Wainwright, Michael Cullen, Brian Wignall and Paddy Taylor the head grounds man for all their stirling efforts
over the years.
On court, Brentwood teams excelled winning multiple team and individual trophies and titles in Essex, also linking with a local Ford dealership establishing the coveted Laidlaw Brentwood Hard Court Tennis Championship for top junior players around the UK.
Now with teams firmly established in the Essex Leagues and Brentwoodand District Leagues and top coaching available with head coach Kirk Butler and the Aspire Tennis Academy we are ready for the next chapter.
And as one of the first clubs in Essex to have laid a padel court, the future continues to look bright as we welcome even new members to the club.
*For a more detailed read about the Club’s history, please see “ Brentwood Hard
Court Club,” The History from 1922 written by former club captain Michael Wignall.
Copies are available in the club house on request.
Nestling in this rural idyll you will find:
A Tennis club that has been granted the LTA 'Tennismark' approval for the way it is managed.
Nine Floodlit artificial grass courts
A competitive membership fee that includes use of the courts, floodlights and balls.
Preferential membership fee for all Brentwood Tennis Club Members for the Brand New Padel Tennis Facility on the grounds of the tennis club (separate membership and court fees will apply)
A modern clubhouse housing:
◊ Male and female changing rooms with showers
◊ A bar
◊ A function hall, which is available to hire for private functions
◊ A kitchen
A professional coaching team, who are available for group and individual coaching.
A dedicated junior section with a structured development programme.
Our courts are available for members to arrange their own games, except during Social Play sessions.
On the few occasions when demand for courts exceeds availability the following priorities apply:
One court will always be available to the club coaching team when required for individual coaching.
Two courts for all home fixtures.
Seven courts, Monday to Friday 3.30pm – 7pm; Saturday 9am – 12.30pm (priority for seniors on two courts).
Six courts at all other times (priority for juniors on two courts; plus two for match play, evenings and weekend afternoons).
Members are advised to check the notice boards and website for any special events that may reduce court availability.
The club house can be hired to members for a variety of purposes except for (regrettably) teenager’s parties.
Please read the terms and complete the contract for hire form and we shall endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible regarding availability and other details.
See below for prices for both members and non-members.
For more information and to see the hire contract please contact: Sonia Sheldon on 07973 852534.
Evening Hire £150 Afternoon Hire £75
Bar Staff - Minimum 2 £9 per hour per person
Booking fee (non-refundable) £50
(Offset against the hire charge if function takes place)
Deposit against breakages £50
Other conditions include:
All payments for hall hire and deposits and booking fee must be paid prior to any event.
A formal contract of hire must be completed for each booking.